SIM is a 128-year-old catalyst for global missions that goes above in prayer and beyond in care to bring good news to hard places because there are people living and dying without the gospel. The vision of SIM is to see a witness to Christ’s love, where He is least known, disciples of Jesus expressing God’s love in their communities, and Christ-centered churches among all peoples. SIM Canada is part of an international mission organization with more than 4,000 ministry workers, serving in more than 70 countries, from over 60 different diverse nationalities. We are both a sending and receiving agency, sending people from Canada, receiving people to Canada, and serving in Canada alongside the church. We are looking for people who love Jesus and who are willing to use their skills on one of our ministry teams here at home or worldwide.
SIM Canada is seeking an exceptional Christian leader to become its new Executive Director. We are looking for a visionary strategic thinker, an engaging and collaborative team leader, a proven networker, an excellent communicator, and someone who has a track record in organizational and
fiscal management, as well as public speaking and fundraising.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the Board of Directors. They are responsible for overseeing the overall vision, mission, strategy, leadership, and governance of the organization, including brand profile, mission impact, and financial health. Responsibilities include strategic planning and financial oversight, establishing and monitoring progress toward major goals and objectives for the organization, implementing Board policies, acting as an ambassador for the organization, fundraising and business development, establishing partnerships, evaluating impact and
outcomes, hiring and managing staff, and fostering an innovative and collaborative working environment. The Executive Director is supported by an established senior management team, including a Deputy Director, a Chief Financial Officer and a Director of Communications.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership and Strategy – Develops and maintains the fundamentals of a Christian Mission Organization: evangelize the unreached, minister to human need, disciple believers into churches, and equip churches to fulfil Christ’s commission. The Executive Director establishes program, project, activity, regional, office and overarching organizational objectives and strategies to meet the service and legal commitments of the organization.
- Operational Planning and Management - Oversees the development, implementation, and evaluation of an organizational annual plan to assist and equip churches to engage in intercultural ministry. Facilitates the receiving and effective placement of missionaries toward realizing SIM’s mission. The Executive Director guides the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization's programs and services, operations, policies, and internal sustainability plan.
- Human Resources Management - Determines staffing requirements, hiring, managing, and mentoring senior staff, overseeing the implementation of human resources policies and practices, including performance and learning, as well as nurturing a collaborative and
innovative working culture, and promoting the organization’s core values.
- Financial Planning and Management - Ensures the financial viability and resilience of the organization, guiding and strengthening the organization’s business model—which combines project-generated revenue with fundraising and traditional support methods—guiding the
development and management of the annual budget, and overseeing financial management and reporting practices. The Executive Director is the authorizing and signing authority for the Corporation.
- Strategic Partnerships and Outreach - Acts as the main spokesperson and ambassador for the organization, delivering speeches and presentations and representing SIM Canada at meetings, conferences, and events, establishing a strong brand profile in Canada, and nurturing strategic partnerships and collaborative arrangements with the Canadian Church and other mission organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- Risk Management - Ensures that risk management policies and procedures are in place and observed to control risks to the organization's people, property, finances, goodwill, and image.
- SIM International - Maintains a strong relationship with SIM International and ensures that Canada is well represented within SIM’s international community
Experience, Qualifications, and Characteristics:
The ideal candidate will be a Christian leader who is:
○ At least five years with a proven track record in a leadership position
○ Non-profit management, missionary service in Canada or overseas, or senior consulting
○ Good problem-solving skills
○ Thrives in a dynamic, changing environment
- A Visionary:
○ Understanding of SIM’s strategic opportunities and priorities, globally and nationally
○ Strong strategic thinking skills
- A Communicator:
○ Charismatic personality with excellent written and oral communications skills
○ Experience and comfort with public speaking
- A Relationship Builder:
○ Inclusive team builder and player
○ Ability to network with SIM’s stakeholders
○ Creative and collaborative with strategic partners
○ Comfortable in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment
- In touch with Reality
○ An ability to understand SIM Canada’s history & ethos, values and challenges
○ Experience with fundraising, non-profit financial planning and revenue generation
○ Experience in managing people
- The head office of SIM Canada is located in Toronto (Scarborough). Strong preference will be
given to hiring someone who is able to work in Toronto.
Culture and Values:
- The new leader will be stepping into a well-established and carefully nurtured culture and set of operational values that define the way we work together. At SIM Canada, we have a collaborative culture and a mission‐focused work.
- We will give preference to a new leader who can reinforce our culture and values. In addition, as the leader and ambassador for the organization, we anticipate that our new Executive Director will be a role model of Christ-like servant leadership.
- In keeping with the legal structure of the organization, a new leader coming from outside the organization will be required to become a member of SIM Canada.
- The starting date for this position is flexible, but our intention is that the new Executive Director will be in place during the summer or early fall of 2022. Transitional preparation may begin as early as June 2022.
- Please send a cover letter and resume or CV including three references to Gary Coghill, Chair of the Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Executive Director Application” in the subject line of your email. If you wish, you may also include an additional 3-5 pages of relevant material that demonstrates your unique qualifications and allows the interview committee to get to know you better.
- The deadline for applications is February 28, 2022.
- We thank all candidates for their interest. We will respond to all applications in a timely manner by email. However, due to the volume of applications and inquiries we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted in person. Thank you for your understanding.
SIM Mission Statement:
Convinced that no one should live and die without hearing God's good news, we believe that He has called us to make disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ in communities where he is least known.
Therefore, compelled by God's great love and empowered by the Holy Spirit…
- We cross barriers to proclaim the crucified and risen Christ, expressing His love and compassion among those who live and die without Him,
- We make disciples who will trust and obey Jesus, and become part of Christ-centered churches,
- We work together with churches to fulfill God's mission across cultures locally and globally,
- We facilitate the participation in cross-cultural ministry of those whom God is calling.
SIM Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, providing the applicant has met the bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.